Nutrition Update

So when I started my marathon training and started looking at my event goals in 2010 I decided to get a licensed dietitian. Through some research and talking to a few people I chose Ilana Katz who owns "ON for Life – Optimal Nutrition for Optimal Energy". She specializes in sports nutrition and body composition. One of the best selling points was she also competes in endurance events so she would be able to relate well to my training.

The first day I saw her she weighed me and took my body fat % (using pinching tool)

Starting Stats (1/14/10):
Weight: 175
Body Fat: 18%
Body Fat Weight: 31.5 pounds of fat; 143 pounds of lean mass

Her plan isn't around a diet which for most is understood as an eating plan during a portion of set time. She views her plans as a change of life and works with me to change how I eat so that I can satisfy urges, stay lean & strong, while not going hungry. The first four days were classified as "detox" days and I was all out of sorts as I was hungry and had a lower level of energy. Overall I am eating every 2 -2.5hrs and there is nothing I can't eat in any given week as long as I follow her plan. *Note: she does do online programs for anyone not in GA.


Six weeks later (2/24/10)
Weight: 165
Body Fat: 13%
Body Fat Weight: 21.5 pounds of fat; 143.5 pounds of lean mass



The amazing part of the numbers is that I haven't lost ANY MUSCLE MASS and I have dropped 10 pounds of FAT!


Here is the thing I had to learn. For the last three weeks I have been a steady 165. With the exception of about four days I would say my eating has been right on schedule with her plan. The part that is showing true now is that my weight is not changing, so I could assume if I was just going by the scale that I have stopped losing body fat%. That isn't true, what is being shown is that I am replacing the fat with muscle which is keeping my weight at 165 but making me leaner and lowering my body fat%.


Goal for Marathon:
Six weeks later (3/21/2010)
Weight: 160

Body Fat: 9%
Body Fat Weight: 14.4 pounds of fat; 145.6 pounds of lean mass

0 comments:

Post a Comment