First Issue of the season

So over the past few months I have experienced off and on pain that is related to the training and the abuse on my body. I have my first real issue which is called Iliotibial Band Syndrome or ITB for short. What is it you ask? The Definition is pain and inflammation on the outside of the knee, where the iliotibial band (a muscle on the outside of the thigh) becomes tendinous, and results in a friction syndrome by rubbing against the femur (thigh bone) as it runs alongside the knee joint. First you should know it is 1 of the 5 most common issues with distance runners and athletes. So how serious is it? It can get serious but right now I am just experiencing a dull ache on the side of the knee or right above the knee. I have been icing it after workouts and taking anti inflammatory medication to help reduce the swelling (non visible). I also went out and bought a Pilate's foam roller that I lay the leg on and roll from the knee to my hip which helps stretch the Iliotibial band.
This week is a recovery week for me in my training so that means less miles run in preparation for a hard week next week and then the taper (refers to the practice of reducing, or tapering off, exercise in the days just before an important competition) for the marathon. Instead of running I swam Monday and today. Yesterday I ran 4 miles with a little ache in the leg but overall felt good and kept a good pace for a 4 mile run. Tomorrow I run for about another 4 miles and then rest Friday before a longer run on Saturday. Saturday will be a good test to see where the leg is at right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment